Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Week 5 thoughts

The wiki's I looked at were interesting. This wiki, http://instructionwiki.org/Library_2.0_in_15_minutes_a_day which is the first one I looked at, could use some graphics and images. I suppose that's because I'm used to using Wikipedia.

Is a wiki a wiki because it uses special wiki software? To me UpToDate is very much like a wiki. It's a collaborative effort by a number of medical experts. It looks and feels like a wiki to me. Does that make it a wiki, even though I'm sure it uses it's own proprietary non-wiki software? The same can be said for many online reference books.

As time goes by there will be more of this blurring between what's a wiki, what's a book, and whatever else.

1 comment:

Melissa Rethlefsen said...

Those are some really good comments! It's interesting to me that you mention UpToDate as reminiscent of a wiki, especially as how both are criticized for their lack of evidence-based content. A lot of books are being published with wiki components or as wikis, in fact. You're right that this line may be more blurred in the future. Wikis are wikis because of the software they use, it's true, but that may blur a bit as publishing models change.