Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Week 4 thoughts

It seems to me that adding RSS capabilities to the My Library Home Page feature of our home page would be very useful. Patrons could add their own feeds and whatever else they want. In addition to providing them with a one-stop shopping experience for all their job related information needs, it would also increase the visibility of the library since we are the providers of this service.

If the library doesn't do this I bet somebody at Mayo does it sooner or later. I envision a My Mayo page, that has all the stuff at Mayo and beyond that I need to do my job.

2 comments:

Melissa Rethlefsen said...

Agreed--it would be very useful! I think that there is some experimentation going on with the Intranet interface--to be more customizable, anyway--but I think we may be some time away from a My Yahoo!-like experience.

Marilyn Pitzen said...

Actually the Rochester Intranet Technology Coordinating Subcommittee sent out a test portal to a list of employees asking them to test "My Mayo". I just happen to be on that list. Personally I didn't think I would use it but it offers, My weather, my bookmarks, personal home page, my committees and my outlook. They asked for other personalization features so I said RSS feeds! They gave no time frame as to when and if this would be launched.